Documentation Requirements

Documentation Requirements

REMINDER - After completing the online registration form, you should receive a confirmation email and you must call and make an appointment with Mrs. McCollam, District Registrar, at 203-830-7355 to bring in all of your paperwork.  

                                  Registration Hours are by Appointment ONLY 
                         Tuesdays 8:30 to 10:30 AM & Thursdays 2:00 to 4:00 PM.

No walk-in registrations will be accepted.  Please call the District Registrar for an appointment.


Bring the required documents listed below to your appointment with the District Registrar.   

PLEASE NOTE:  If you do not have all of the required documents at your scheduled appointment, the registrar will be unable to keep the appointment and you will need to reschedule for a time when you have all of the required documentation.     

Also, with all of the required documentation, the registration process can take up to 3-5 days and even longer during peak registration time (August).

 To register your child for school, you will need several documents. These include:

1. Child's original birth certificate with a raised seal AND a copy.

2. Proof that the adult registering the child is the parent or legal guardian (name on birth certificate matches the parent's picture ID or court documents of legal custody if divorced or separated).

3. Proof of residency:  MUST supply the  following:

  • Home Owner - Real Estate Tax Bill, Copy of Property Deed, Current Mortgage Statement, or Settlement Statement (new home-owners only)  AND one (1) current (1) utility bill (cable, electric, gas, telephone  or cell phone showing the name and address)

  • Rent/Lease  -

    • SIGNED Lease or Rental Agreement.   Lease agreement must be unexpired  and signed by lessor/lessee and dated.  Landlord contact information must be provided.  Two (2) current utility bills (see above) showing your name and address.  

    • Notarized Landlord Affidavit Form must be provided if there is no lease and you are renting month to month/weekly or your lease is expired.   Landlord contact information must be provided.  Two (2) current utility bills (see above) showing your name and address. Notarized Landlord Affidavit

    • Section 8 Agreement with dates of tenancy.  Two (2) current utility bills (see above) showing your name and address.

  • If you do not own or rent but are living with a Bethel resident- two (2) notarized affidavits, Residency Affidavit Forms. These affidavits must be accompanied by two (2) current utility bills (see above) with your name and the address on them.  Additionally, one (1) current utility bill and tax bill from the Bethel property owner must also be presented with the owner’s name and the address.

If you live in a household where all utilities are in someone else’s name or utilities are included as part of your rental agreement, please choose (2) two of the acceptable residency documents that display your Bethel address: Valid driver’s license  or valid CT DMV photo identification (stickers not allowed); valid automobile registration; current homeowners insurance or automobile insurance; current payroll stub; current bank or credit card statement; current letters from governmental agencies; or current court documents.   Submission of a utility bill may still be required to prove that the residence is occupied.

4.  Student meets Requirements for Homeless or Unaccompanied Youth Status (Social Worker/Liaison to be contacted)   

NOTE:  Motor vehicle tax bills and water/sewer bills are not acceptable for proof of residency.

5. Request For Records Form or Official school records from another school system or country, if applicable and available.  If the school records are coming from another country, it is the parents/guardians responsibility to have all school records translated into English prior to the student(s) first day of school.

6. Health Physical and Sports Physical Form for K-12 ("Blue Form")

7.  Free/Reduced Lunch Application (if applicable) can be found on our School Lunch Information webpage in both English and Spanish:
School Lunch Information

8.  Special Services Registration Form if applicable


Students will not be able to REGISTER OR ATTEND school until all the necessary forms are completed and immunization records are on file at Registrar’s Office.

If you have any questions regarding the process, please feel free to contact the District’s Registrar or the school your child will be attending.  Again, we welcome you to the Bethel Public Schools.

Where to go for your Registration Appointment

Bethel Public Schools Registrar’s Office

Laurel McCollam, District Registrar

Bethel Board of Education

PO Box 253

1 School Street

Bethel, CT 06801

Phone: 203-830-7355

Fax:      203-794-8723